Title: Web Editor
Company: The Caravan
Location: New Delhi, India
Job Category: Print, Magazine
Job Type: Full Time
Deadline Date: August 31, 2012
Description: The country’s first and only publication devoted to narrative journalism, The Caravan occupies a singular position among Indian magazines. Our stories present a unique mix of detailed reporting, lively and vivid writing, and a commitment to the art of storytelling whether the subject is politics, culture, travel or art. The Caravan is published by Delhi Press Group, one of India’s leading publishers. Started in 1939, Delhi Press today publishes 32 magazines in 9 languages.
The Caravan seeks a Web Editor to join its fast-paced New Delhi-based newsroom. The duties include, and are not limited to:
- Commissioning and editing several pieces of original writing/reporting to be published on the web each day
- Cultivating a community of writers and analysts who can respond quickly to issues in the news
- Creatively writing web content by highlighting and responding to other news content (eg, articles, TV clips) already on the Internet
- Aggregating pieces published by other media and available on the Internet, and creating a list of The Caravan picks of the day
- Producing multimedia content using articles in the print magazine
- Running the Twitter and Facebook operations of the magazine
- Being a keen observer and fast learner of Indian politics, culture and societyWe prefer candidates with at least two years of reporting and editing experience preferably on a web platform. The ideal candidate must work well under pressure, should have demonstrated an interest in editing international news and a willingness to work with writers from diverse backgrounds. The successful applicant will demonstrate sound news judgment, top-notch editing skills and an enthusiasm for The Caravan’s mission of improving the quality of writing and reporting in India. The New Delhi office is a start-up environment, and is also a small shop, requiring team players with a willingness to be flexible. Basic web publishing skills (HTML, graphic/photo editing, and content management systems) and multimedia production experience is a requirement. This is a full-time position with benefits. Night, holiday and weekend work may be required.